Wednesday, August 10, 2016

What Good Do I Accomplish on a Daily Basis?


Wow! First and foremost, let's address the elephant in the room! I didn't even make it two consecutive days of sitting down and devoting time to post a Daily Devotional! It pretty much illustrates exactly what I was trying to improve upon, and that was being aware of cutting out some time each day to reflect on God's mission for me!


Sure enough, Monday and Tuesday rolled around and I let the hectic shuffle of the day consume me, and forgot all about my goal! It's all about the process folks, so hopefully I can get better on this!


Monday evening I fell asleep watching the Olympics, so I didn't even have my end of the day wind-down prayer to catch my mistake! It wasn't until I was laying in bed praying last night that I caught my error, two days gone without workday devotional time!


So sorry for the delay, I'm back today, and as promised on Friday, it's a look at the second component of this Daily Devotional's genesis, and that is all about trying to make a difference, no matter how small.


As father Huber's sermon was bouncing around in my head the last couple of weeks, I got to thinking one night as I sat up with my restless two year old at 2 am one morning. (In his defense he was recovering from surgery where he got tubes in his ears and had his adenoid removed, so his throat was pretty sore.) Do I make an actual difference in the world on a daily basis? Outside of my family, do I improve the world around me?


That's a pretty heavy question, and something that I think many of us have pondered at some point in the world. Outside of working a job we don't enjoy, to collect a pay check to support our family, and then coming home and spending time with our spouses and children, is our impact felt outside our core family and the small group of people we interact with on an intimate level?


And from there I got to thinking, do I do anything good? I mean I don't do anything particularly bad. I didn't stop off and rob a gas station or punch a stranger on my commute to and from work. But not doing bad isn't exactly the same thing as doing good.


And so I got to thinking, while I may say, please and thank you, or wish the person working the register at the gas station to have a nice day as I pay for my morning energy drink, and then hold the door for the person coming in as I exit the building, those aren't anything particularly earth-shattering in the "good" department. I have fallen into a rut! A victim of the daily schedule, I go from home to work to home, with a few stops in between to pick up or drop off my son at daycare, and occasionally buy something for lunch, breakfast, or a needed item for home. Not exactly prime material for a eulogy. "He was a good man that Kyle, he said thank you and have a nice day when he bought his morning Nos." Not exactly the send off we're all dreaming of when we pass on from this life to the next.


And so I thought, what's one way I can make a positive impact, and add it to my daily routine that consists of limited human interaction. Well, how about I spend time to publicly reflect on my faith journey. Maybe someone else can gleam some help along the way, or share something with me, and in the process we happen to help each other in some way in this journey called life. If just one person is able to get through the day, or find some assistance with a struggle due to this little blog, then mission accomplished! Public Good Achievement Unlocked!


It certainly sounds better on a tombstone than "great at holding the door."


And hey folks, if you've grappled with that dilemma yourself, then why not share? What steps are you using to spread the message and routinely impact your community positively? Let's hear him, I'd love to adopt some of your practices and try to enrich my own community along the way!


Thanks for reading! God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment